Friday, June 26, 2009

Journal 5

“Can You Hear Me Now?” by Sherry Turkle

Sherry Turkle analyzes the role of machines in our lives and the way we are evolving as humans as a result of the prevalence of technology. She argues that we are becoming more isolated from the people that are physically around us from moment to moment and paradoxically socially introverted in the predominant use of cyber social networking. In speaking about a conference she attended, states it is “clear that what people mostly want from public space is to be alone with their personal networks” (Turkle, 2007 pg 1).

Turkle introduces the concept of being tethered to technology, how dependent do you think people today (in general) are dependent on their gadgets?

From my observations, I would say a lot of people are very dependent on their cell phones and/or blackberry. Up until two years ago, I had a cell phone. At this time, I decided it was too disruptive to my life and gave it up. While I liked the security of knowing my family could contact me in an emergency when I had my cell phone, it most often was a distraction and irritation (thankfully, no emergencies occurred). My husband still has one because he feels he needs it for business but there have been many family outings on his “time off” that have been interrupted by client phone calls.

Do you think technology (such as the cell phone) has had a negative impact on human interaction and families in general?

Turkle points out the fact that kids today do not have the opportunity to think about the way they feel and I agree. Technology has silently infiltrated our lives in such a way that small changes in human interaction have occurred over time largely unnoticed. Few kids today know how to stop and enjoy their surroundings. They are constantly looking to be stimulated in a remote way through the machines they carry in their backpacks.

1 comment:

  1. We are both connected and isolated. Indeed an irony.

    Dr. Turkle has published numerous books and articles about lives on the Internet, especially identity issues. If you're interested, check out her work.

    ReplyDelete